Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Choosing a Piano Teacher


I have to shake my head when the biggest determining factor in choosing a music teacher becomes proximity. I want to say, "OK, I guess we'll talk in 5 or 6 years when you have paid out several thousand dollars to an ineffective teacher and you still can't play." As if I had room for one more student anyway, which I don't.

I almost posted that on FaceBook, and then realized it sounded really pouty. Even so, what they probably mean is that they can't afford me, which is silly, because they are throwing their money away to these neighbor ladies that know NOTHING. Can I express to you how many times I have tried to pick up the pieces when a child has had years of BAD TRAINING? It's impossible to do: like Humpty Dumpty. Let's just say that this phrase has NEVER been uttered by my students: "I took piano lessons for 6 years and I still know nothing." How many times have people said that to me about the neighbor lady they studied with? COUNTLESS. I need to come up with a tactful way of saying that to the parents who call inquiring about lessons.

On a lighter note, I got a 3.9 this semester. I'm pretty proud of myself. I wonder why I couldn't get a 4.0? I did SOOO much homework for that Theory credit, which was one credit hour and cost me my 4.0. Probably 5-10 hours a week. Oh well. I'm going to be happy with a 3.9. That's the highest grade point I've ever earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment