Saturday, March 13, 2010

Graduate Recital Program

I've been struggling over what to play on my graduate recital since the first week of my first semester, and I have finally made some decisions! Here it is, folks:

Bach: Toccata in G minor

Haydn: Sonata No. 62 in E flat, Hob. XVI/52
I. Allegro
II. Adagio
III. Presto

Intermission

Rave:" Valses Nobles et Sentimentales

Granados: Goyescas
Quejas o lamaja y el ruisenor (The Maiden and the Nightingale)
El pelele (Straw Man)

Chopin: Ballade No. 4

Encore:
Lu Wen-Cheng: Ping hu qiu yue (Autumn Moon on a Calm Lake)

Each one of these pieces has a specific purpose in my repertoire, and I really like each one. I have listened to hundreds of hours of music, trying to select the very best examples of each composer's writing, and I feel really good about this program, collectively as well as individually. What a relief to have all the pieces selected! Now I just have to learn it all! So far, I have learned the Chopin Ballade and Granados' El pelele. I have my work cut out for me!

Kimberlee sent me a message last week, letting me know that the Goyescas were premiered on 3/11/1911. The hundredth anniversary of their premier will be on 3/11/2011. Doesn't that sound like an ideal date to hold my recital? Save that date! Be there or be square!

1 comment:

  1. I've played the Haydn sonata before. Quite a ruckus and a fun piece. BTW, the composer for Ping Hu Qiu Yue (Autumn Moon on Tranquil Lake) is Chen Pei Xun.

    ReplyDelete