Monday, March 29, 2010

Died of Concert

I'm writing a paper about Mary Lou Williams. She was a jazz pianist. She was performing in the 1930's, through her death in the 70's. She had a fascinating life. She performed from the time she was a very young girl, and toured around with Vaudeville troupes, not realizing the danger she was in, a young black girl in a white man's world (or a black man's, for that matter). She became a very well respected pianist, composer, and arranger. I'm just learning about her; I wish I had started on this paper sooner.

Anyway, one of my methods in doing research is just to open up my book and type everything that looks meaningful, and then I can cut and paste whatever is useful to me later as I'm going along, so I read as I type. I was reading about the end of her life. I guess she died of cancer. I'm typing along, and find my fingers saying, "she died of concert." Talk about a Freudian slip. I hope I don't die of concert. Or cancer, for that matter. LOL.

2 comments:

  1. I can think of some concerts that almost killed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of some of YOUR concerts that almost killed me!! Not your playing, per se, just the playing of the outlandish accompaniments.

    ReplyDelete