Thursday, April 1, 2010

Life is a drag, sometimes

Today has been a drag. I've got nothing done. I should never go into spring break expecting any degree of productivity. I'm discouraged by parenthood, finances, my housekeeping skills (or lack thereof), blah, blah, blah.

On an optimistic note, I think I have grown up some in the communication field. I had a nasty interaction today with a guy who has no communication skills. He started out rude, right out of the gate. He sent me a nasty e-mail and a nasty voice-mail (didn't want to risk not making his point, I guess). I found myself composing a thoughtful, respectful response, with just enough but not too much information. Later I called him on the phone and he was much, MUCH nicer to me in conversation than in either of his messages.

Maybe I have learned how to diffuse a bad situation. I'm finding that I have learned how to wait before I respond in a reactionary way. I'm finding that I have the self-restraint to tailor my interactions to achieve my desired results. Five years ago, an interaction like this one would have gotten ugly fast, and then I'd have sulked about it for 18 months. I'm proud of how it ended up, but it still didn't make for a pleasant day.

AND, I am still staying true to my diet. I'm proud of that, too.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the rudeness of this person, but if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times--you're a class act, one I try to follow.

    ReplyDelete