Thursday, May 6, 2010

Last Day of the Semester

Today was kind of an important day for me. It was my last day of official classes in my first year of graduate school. All I have left are a couple of cinchy finals and my jury. I'll be done for good next Thursday.

I finished my research paper on Mary Lou Williams today, also. I asserted that it was she who started the bebop movement, even though she has never been credited with doing so, and in fact, is never even categorized as a bebopper at all. But she was. She was the person who taught Thelonious Monk (the "high priest of bop") everything he knew. She gave him the foundation of his style. If I were really interested in history and research and writing, this would be a great doctoral thesis. I'll send you my paper to read if you are interested in this subject at all. I think it's groundbreaking, but what do I know?

I have LOVED my jazz class this semester. I learned so much, and discovered so much great music. I can't wait to take some jazz lessons next semester. I'm going to learn the rest of my graduate recital this summer, and then plunge head first into jazz. It's going to be painful, but I can't wait to play like Shirley Horne and Fred Hersch.

I'm so proud of me! This has been a demanding but rewarding and wonderful year.

No comments:

Post a Comment