Sunday, September 6, 2009

Advancing Confidently in the Direction of my Dreams

Last night Scott and I went to see "Julie & Julia", a film that tells the story of a girl who decides to cook her way through Julia Child's French cookbook and then writes about it on her blog. It tells the story of how Julia Child came in her midlife (well into her 40's) to decide out of boredom to learn to cook, and eventually write a cookbook. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie!

I came away renewed in my confidence that I can do great things. Years ago I read Irving Stone's "Lust for Life", a book about Vincent van Gogh, who didn't begin to practice art until well into his adult life. I was stunned to learn that van Gogh had several other careers before devoting himself to his art. It seems that there is a notion that if you haven't mastered a thing by the time you are 20 years, that it is too late for you do succeed. "Julie & Julia" reinforced my confidence that I have a lifetime ahead of me to progress in any area, but particularly in my music. Here's my favorite quote (of late!):

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." - Thoreau

1 comment:

  1. I think you will be amazing at anything you do - especially music! I know someday I will be able to say - "I knew her when..." I don't believe it is ever too late to become great. Love ya! You are inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete