Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On Music

by Walter Savage Landor:

Many love music but for music's sake,
Many because her touches can awake
Thoughts that repose within the breast half-dead,
And rise to follow where she loves to lead.
What various feelings come from days gone by!
What tears from far-off sources dim the eye!
Few, when light fingers with sweet voices play
And melodies swell, pause, and melt away,
Mind how at every touch, at every tone,
A spark of life hath glistened and hath gone.

What do you think this poem means? It is in the front of a book called "Rise to Follow" by Albert Spalding, a violinist from the early 20th century. I kind of like it, and it's growing on me, but I prefer actual rhyming in poetry, and this poem contains two visual rhymes, which I like less. Well, here I go off to my Theory Review class. I enjoy my classmates quite a bit. The rest... well, here I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment